Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Shining Sun

Well, I am sure by this time you would have come to know that I was working at Sun Microsystems Inc. as a Campus Ambassador. This blog-post gives a brief overview of my experiences as a Sun CA.

If you have already gone through my Sun Blog, this post may seem redundant.

I joined Sun Microsystems Inc. in September 2006 as a Campus Ambassador for my college, Osmania University. The job profile was primarily of a technical evangelist at my college. I loved the job as it would give me an opportunity to learn new technologies and at the same time give me experience in event co-ordination and crowd management. So, I applied for the position and after a telephonic interview, I got into Sun.

January 18th was my last day at Sun. The entire Campus Ambassador had been closed that day and I out of Sun now. It was a wonderful and memorable journey. While working as a CA, I got a chance to meet a lot of like-minded people from various parts of the world and had a wonderful time working with them. At the same time, I could learn a lot about the technical products of Sun Microsystems Inc.

During these 17 months, our college reached new heights in the open source world. Here are a few of the major mile-stones reached by my college -

  • Inauguration of S.O.U.R.C.E
  • Software Freedom Day 2008
  • The Ref Contest (Received accolades from several people and the idea was replicated in many countries)
  • Establishment of Sun FTP Server at Osmania University
  • Sun Tech Days 2009
  • Sun support in Infinity 2009
  • 18 internships from Sun Microsystems Inc. as a part of Industry Association Program
  • Software Freedom Day 2009

Besides these major mile-stones, Osmania University was a part of several competitions and technical sessions in this period.

My recognitions as "Sun CA of the month" and "Sun CA of the quarter" were the biggest honors for me at Sun. I also got myself certified as a SCJP and as a SCWCD during this period.

Before I conclude, I would like to thank Sun Microsystems Inc. on behalf of Osmania University for giving us this opportunity and at the same time thank Osmania University on behalf of Sun Microsystems Inc. for their unvarying support and cooperation to the open source community.

If you would like to know more about my experiences with Sun, visit http://blogs.sun.com/gautam and in case Oracle pulls it out, I will replicate it elsewhere and provide the link here. Here is a beautiful picture from James Goslings blog showing the emotion of every Sun employee after the acquisition.

No comments: